Dependent Care FSA (DCFSA)

Who is eligible for a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)?

A Dependent Care FSA is intended to give people who work a tax benefit to help pay for their dependent care expenses. With that in mind, the following criteria must be met:

  • The individual (or, in a spousal situation, both spouses) must either be working or looking for work.* 
  • The dependent must live in the same house as the claimant and must be eligible to be claimed as a dependent. In cases where the dependent only lives with you part time (e.g. in cases of joint custody), you can only get reimbursed for costs incurred while they are living with you.
  • You dependent must be:
    • A child age 12 or under
    • A dependent adult who lives in your home and is either mentally or physically unable to care for themselves

*It is important to note that if you don't have a job and aren’t looking for work, eligibility also extends to those still in school, and those incapable of working because of a mental or physical impairment.

While you can sign up for a DCFSA during your organization’s annual enrollment period, it ultimately depends on your employer and whether they offer a DCFSA option to their employees. 

If you are unsure whether your employer offers DCFSA, we encourage you to contact your HR team - they will be the ones enrolling you if available.

Have additional questions? Please reach out to Benepass Support for assistance.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request